Thursday, December 31, 2009
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Whatever the reason, I decided to add a little yeast nutrient and give the Riesling another week of primary fermentation in the Winepod. The taste is that of a sweet carbonated wine cooler.
I cracked open a bottle of the second cider lot on Monday. The added sweetness in this batch was nice, but at the moment I prefer the taste of the dry cider. The dry cider is especially good when drinking after having a few chocolates.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Monday, October 12, 2009
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Saturday, August 29, 2009
While the beer finishes and before I start the hard cider, I put together another short film.
June 2008 to July 2009 in 12 minutes.
The motion camera takes a photo at the slightest movement. When put together, the pictures create a time lapse film. The motion trigger creates odd intervals from sunlight, lightning, raindrops, snowflakes, wind blown leaves, the animals, and us. One rainy day might last a minute or more, but daily visits from Mr. Squirrel might appear as 1/30th of a second, and months can pass in 30 seconds.
I even mixed a sound track for this one.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Soaking the bottles in an oxygen cleaning agent.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
In the meantime, I decided to try my hand at beermaking. I ordered the malt and hops from Fallbright. I received a hopped malt concentrate and brewer's yeast packet from an Australian company called Coopers. The resulting beer should be an ale.
I mixed up the ingredients with 2 liters of boiling water in a large pot.
I siphoned the boiled mixture into a carboy and added another 15-16 liters of water.
Fermentation underway, with foam pouring out of the airlock. Fermentation takes place at 72 degrees F.Good thing this is happening in the basement. I ordered 48 - 12 ounce bottles, caps and a bottle capper. If the beer tastes good next week, I'll bottle it and give it away.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
The pictures show the story of the 25 bottles of Oaked Riesling. Thanks to Alicia for her photojournalism. I think the acid is still a bit high on this batch, but I imagine the wine will only get better with chilling and age. I only used half the Polyclar this time, but still managed to get a fairly good pale gold color. I think the slightly darker hue goes with the added oak chip flavoring.
I received sad news from Greg Snell, CEO of ProVina and the Silicon Valley inventor of the WinePod. With all of the venture capital gone dry, ProVina hit a wall. Greg had to lay off all of his employees and suspend all operations. There will no longer be any support for the WinePod. It disappoints me that when someone steps up and develops a new innovative product, there is no help from the banks or venture funds to keep the business alive.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Loading the filters into the pump assembly.
Carboy 1 is history. We bottled the wine after coarse grain filtering using a Buon Vino motorized pump and filter. The result was 25 bottles and 1/2 half bottle. I used the half bottle to top off carboy 3. I labeled the other 25 bottles and placed them in cases.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Friday, April 3, 2009
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Below is a photo of my calibration of the pH meter using the buffer calibration solutions. I picked up the calibration solutions from a store called the New Aquarium near Grand Central, in the city.
On Sunday night there was a strong thunderstorm. The motion camera went crazy and picked up a lot of lightning activity. The shot below is a streak that came down in the woods behind the house. I will check back for the tree that suffered this strike when I return next weekend.
Friday, March 13, 2009
I gave Tom an explanation of my starting and ending TA and pH numbers and the steps I had taken thus far. His recommendation was unique. He explained that I was likely not getting enough of a reduction from my cold stabilization because the pH was too high. He recommended lowering the pH to 3.2 by actually adding more tartaric acid to the wine. He said that when I place the carboy back in freezing conditions for one week, the acid will drop. I will give it a try. Since it is too late in the season to stabilize in the garage, I will need to use the refrigerator as a wine freezer.
Monday, March 9, 2009
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
I racked the oaked wine carboy on February 8th and racked the non-oak on February 15th. After each racking, I added 2 teaspoons of potassium sorbate to the carboys and stirred them up. That should put a stop to any residual fermentation. I filled the airlocks with 100 proof Smirnoff Vodka. Next I placed the carboys in the ice cold garage for the two week cold stabilization period at 10-30 degrees F. After two weeks the carboys will be racked and ready for the fining process. Bottling will be in the first two weeks of March.
Monday, January 19, 2009
The camera takes a picture whenever there is any motion. I combined a series of pictures to make a short film. A few animals star in the film, if you watch carefully.
Saturday, January 3, 2009
After racking, I tested a glass of wine from carboy 2. The wine is definitely improved from my last tasting. It is starting to clear up, but the carbonation from the yeast is still strong. It was like drinking champagne. Unfortunately racking involves losing a small volume of wine from each carboy. The loss results from the sludge at the bottom of the carboy. All of the dead yeast makes it impossible to rack the last bit of wine from the bottom if I want to avoid sucking the sludge into the clean carboy. I topped off each carboy with a bottle of commercial dry Riesling from Anthony Road Winery (to keep consistency with Finger Lakes grapes).