Shaping Up

A dramatic improvement in the 2009 Riesling vs. the 2008 in terms of color, clarity, and as it turns out from today's testing, acid levels.  The wine is so clear that I am planning to forego the fining process.  Depending on how well cold stabilization goes I should be able to forego adding any potassium sorbate.  And with so little oxidation, I also should be able to avoid adding polyclar.  In other words, I'm making the 2009 with much the same purity as the Riesling from the Moselle Valley.    

The SG measured 1 degree Brix.  Back in October, I started at a Brix of 23, which means a potential alcohol of 13.2%.

I brought out the acid test kit and tested a sample. 

The pH was 3.25 and the total acidity was 0.95 Tartaric.  Acceptable.  Cold stabilization should help.

Alicia and I also gave the wine the most important test.  It is remarkably good.  I am very surprised considering it is only mid-March.  The 2008 wine last year at this time was nowhere near as finished.

I packed the first oaked carboys in ice and put it in the fridge.  It is time to order the bottles. 


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winery Approved after Public Hearing!

2017 Riesling Clearing