I started primary fermentation of the 2017 Riesling on October 27. That's about a week behind schedule. The source grapes had a starting sugar of 20.3 degrees Brix, which I adjusted with dextrose to 23.5 degrees Brix. The juice was just under 60 degrees F when I pitched the yeast. Here's to a good year!
All but one carboy of the 2017 Riesling is now bottled. I'm happy with the way the product turned out this year. My philosophy in winemaking has always been less is more, but this year I decided to filter the wine twice, with the second filtration down to 2 microns. It's still a far cry from large wineries which filter everything fine to reduce product variability and improve stability in the bottle, but I think there is a balance to be had in how much of the particulate is removed before it starts to negatively impact taste. For me, complexity and character is what makes a great wine. With a small production and low overhead, I can take some risks, and I do.
The number one search that brings viewers to the Shier Winery blog is "brix fermentation curve." One of the great benefits of the WinePod is the real-time sugar sensor. Similar charts available in books and journals are nearly all made with discrete measurements taken throughout the fermentation process using a hyrdrometer. The real-time sensor shows the value to temperature control on the fermentation process. Fermentation without temperature control results in increasing temperature at the outset (fermentation is exothermic), followed by a temperature drop once the bulk of the sugar has been consumed. With temperature control, you see a relatively stable temperature and a more gradual sugar consumption (brix curve).
Comments